If you’re experiencing persistent dental pain, visiting your local Largo dentist’s office should be your top priority. Unfortunately, some oral situations are beyond repair, leaving tooth extraction as the only viable option. While this may be frustrating and disappointing, it is not the end of the world.
The most important thing you can do to prepare for your procedure is learn about why it is needed and how it will be performed.
Why Do You Need A Tooth Extraction?
Everyone is different, so your Largo area dentist could have recommended removal for a number of reasons.
- Broken, damaged, or decayed teeth can often be treated with fillings and crowns, but in some cases the damage is beyond repair, requiring more drastic measures to salvage the overall health of your mouth.
- In many situations, a person needs a tooth extraction to make room in the mouth. This can happen when baby ones do not fall out on their own to make room for the adults, when wisdoms grow in and cause oral issues, or when the jaw doesn’t have enough room to accommodate extra growths.
- When external factors such as cancer radiation or chemotherapy treatments, organ transplant medications, or immunosuppressive drugs cause infections or prevent proper administration of treatment, teeth may need to be removed from the mouth.
Which Procedure Are You Having Done?
There are two types of tooth extractions, simple or surgical. Your local Largo dentist will recommend the best procedure for you based on your reason for removal.
- Simple: When there is clear visibility of the affected area, dentists can loosen the individual molar using an elevator tool and remove it using use forceps. This tactic can often be taken when the removal is in the anterior of the mouth and easy to locate and maneuver.
- Surgical: This procedure is more complex and is performed by an experienced oral surgeon while the patient is either under anesthesia or has received a local anesthetic. Surgical methods are often employed when there is a breakage along the gum line or if there is something going on below the gums. The surgeon will make a small incision in the gum and remove the affected area.
Call Dolphin Dental if you’re in Need of an Extraction
If you’re in oral discomfort, don’t wait to contact Dolphin Dental of Largo as soon as possible at 727-393-9334 to make an appointment. We can diagnose the cause of the pain and recommend the best course of treatment.
Although we try to save tooth extraction as a last resort, we’ll be thorough and realistic about your treatment options so that you are fully satisfied with the service you’re getting from us.