If you have weak, worn down, or damaged teeth, your St. Petersburg dentist may recommend a dental crown to help you achieve a picture perfect smile.
Crowns are caps created from various materials such as porcelain, ceramic, or gold and are placed on top of a damaged tooth. The procedure starts with a reduction of the tooth that is being treated to provide enough room for the cap to be positioned comfortably. Once the tooth is prepared, your dentist will take a detailed impression of your mouth and place a temporary cap while your final crown is produced in a lab. Unlike dentures, crowns can only be removed by a dentist.
Regardless of the reason you are considering getting a dental crown, the procedure offers five important advantages:
- Natural look: Crowns are made with special dental material that will match the color, the shape, and the size of your original teeth. The procedure will allow you to once again have a full, natural looking smile.
- Increased protection: After a surgery, like a root canal, the procedure will help to reinforce the structure of your teeth. And in the case of a broken tooth, crowns will provide the necessary support to the surrounding teeth, which will prevent them from shifting.
- Resistant: Dental crowns that are made of porcelain are stain resistant and, when they are well taken care of, can last up to 15 years. If the cap gets damaged, or naturally wears out, replacements can be considered.
- Easy maintenance: Good oral hygiene is the key to having your crown last. Daily brushing and flossing, as with natural teeth will ensure it stays healthy. Additionally, regular visits to your St. Petersburg dentist for checkups and cleanings will prevent damage.
- Enhanced comfort: After a crown is placed, patients rarely feel any discomfort from the treated tooth, especially in the case of a post root canal surgery. Those who notice pain or discomfort should contact their dentist as they may need some adjustments.
For more information regarding dental crowns, contact Dolphin Dental of St. Petersburg to see how this procedure can help you. Our dentists will discuss various options available and work with you to help you have a smile you will be proud to show off. Give us a call today at 727-393-9334 or to set up an appointment.
Comments are closed.